BLOEMFONTEIN, though the capital of the Central Province,
cannot show such places or occurrences of historic interest as the older Cape,
since it was so far inland and removed from the maritime activities which made
the Cape. On the other hand, it does not show the rapid growth of Johannesburg,
also an inland town. Bloemfontein lies in the heart of an agricultural area,
and its growth has therefore been progressive but conservative.
As far as can be ascertained, the first Jewish family to
settle in Bloemfontein was that of Isaac Baumann, who migrated from Germany to
the old republican capital, Winburg, before settling in the present capital in
1848. He was later followed by the families of W. Ehrlich and M. Leviseur, who
afterwards became not only prominent members of the Jewish community, but also
leading citizens of the town and province.
A son of the first Jewish pioneer, Mr. Gustav Baumann was
the first Government Surveyor for the Free State and was responsible for the
lay-out of Bloemfontein which is one of the attractive features of the town. He
can still be met actively following his occupation, always ready to relate his
reminiscences of early days.
In the latter 'eighties of last century we find the
community augmented by the families of E. R. Moses, B. Levy, Ivan H.
Haarburger, W. Levin and J. Friedmann.
The rapid growth of communal life in centres like Cape Town,
Kimberley and Johannesburg retarded the progress of communal expansion in the
centre city until just after the Boer War.
The Hebrew
Congregation.
At a general meeting of the Hebrew Congregation held in the
temporary Synagogue on Sunday, the 8th September, 1901, we find the following
elected as Officers for the ensuing year: President, Ivan H. Haarburger;
Vice-President, M. Leviseur; Secretary, George Levy; Trustees, W. Ehrlich and
E. R. Moses; Committee, H. Levy, D. J. Levy, Moses Mark, J. Goldsmith and J.
Jankielsohn.
The first Shochet would appear to be a Mr. Zitrun, to be
followed in 1903 by the Rev. M. L. Cohen, at present Minister in Aliwal North.
The present Shochet, Mr. T. Abelson, joined the Congregation as Second Shochet
in March, 1904.
The opening ceremony of the present Synagogue building was
performed by the Rev. Dr. Hertz, the present Chief Rabbi of the British Empire,
in March, 1904, the foundation stone having been laid by His Excellency the
Acting Lieutenant-Governor of the Orange River Colony, the Honourable H. F.
Wilson, C.M.G.., on the 6th May, 1903 (9th Iyar, 5663). This bears eloquent
testimony to the growth of the community at this time, as a sum of well-nigh
£5,000 was expended on this edifice.
On the 5th August, 1904, it was decided to appoint Rev. Mr.
Z. Lawrence, then Minister of Sunderland, to the post of Reader, Teacher and
Minister to the Congregation, a position he still holds to-day.
Since then the community has shown steady progress, and the
usual institutions inseparable from a live and religious community have sprung
up in its midst. At present there are: The Jewish Helping Hand and Burial
Society (Chevra Kadisha), founded 1902; Sick Benefit and Loan Society (Linas
Hatzedek), founded 1904; Jewish Women's Benevolent Society, founded 1903;
Jewish Guild, founded 1922. In addition, the following societies function:
Hebrew School, Zionist Society, Ladies' Zionist Society, Young Israel Society,
Young Maccabeans, Hebrew Order of David—Lodge No. 18, Agudath Sefarteni (Hebrew
Circle), Branch of Johannesburg Jewish Orphanage, and Yiddish Literary Society.
The Communal Hall.
Owing to the growth of the community, and the necessity of a
venue for Jewish activities, the Communal Hall was built in the grounds of the
Synagogue in 1918—the foundation stone being laid by W. Ehrlich, President of
the Congregation, and the hall opened by Mr. Sol Harris. Owing to lack of
school accommodation in the Synagogue Chambers, classrooms were added to the
Communal Hall shortly afterwards the foundation stone being laid by Mr. Abraham
Schwartz. This accommodation was found to be inadequate after a lapse of less
than ten years, and in 1928, a Talmud Torah building was officially opened by
the President, Mr. J, Phillips, who has done yeoman's work for many years for
this institution. This was made possible by the generosity of Mr. Louis
Shapiro, who defrayed the total cost of the building.
Prominent
Personalities.
In surveying the development of the community, we cannot but
mention the work of a few outstanding personalities who did much to guide its
destinies. One name which stands out above all others is that of the late W.
Ehrlich. As President of the Congregation for over twenty years, he was
responsible for the development of the community, and its successful
organisation. His spirit of tolerance, sagacity and fair-mindedness earned for
him a position of high esteem and respect in the community. Even in later years,
when as a member of the Senate his political duties necessitated his presence
in Cape Town, he always found time to come up to Bloemfontein to attend to
urgent communal matters when called upon. One of his outstanding achievements
was his advocacy of the amalgamation of the Cape Town and Johannesburg Boards
of Deputies, which bore fruit at the Congress held in Bloemfontein in 1912,
when the South African Jewish Board of Deputies was formed.
On the demise of Senator W. Ehrlich, Mr. Ivan H. Haarburger
was unanimously elected as President of the Congregation in 1924, an office he
has capably filled ever since. It is interesting to recall that Mr. Haarburger
was President of the Congregation for the year 1901-1902. He has also served as
Chairman of the Jewish Relief Fund during the Great War, and is the President
of the Bloemfontein Keren Hayesod Committee.
Amongst the earlier members occur the names of M. Leviseur,
who was for many years Vice-President of the Congregation, and one of its
trustees; B. Levy, for many years a very active member of the Chevra Kadisha,
as well as of the Congregation Committees; W. Levin, trustee of the
Congregation; Joseph Friedman, treasurer of the War Victims Fund, member of the
Congregation Committee and a highly esteemed member of the community, who was
unfortunately cut off in the prime of his life, thus ending a very promising
career.
One of those to whom the Chevra Kadisha owes a great deal is
Mr. T. Belfort, a member of the Congregation since 1903. He was President for a
number of years, and under his guidance, ably assisted by the Honorary
Secretary, Mr. N. Woolf, the Chevra Kadisha has accomplished much in assisting
the needy.
Bloemfontein Jews have followed the call of Zion from the
earliest days of the movement. The untiring efforts for the cause of Mr.
Abraham Schwartz, now living in Tel-Aviv, for many years President of the local
Zionist Society, and of Mr. I. Fogel, the present Chairman, are worthy of note.
The comparative contributions towards Zionist funds, in proportion to the size
of the community, is greatly due to their efforts, and those of their helpers.
Bloemfontein Jewry can justly be proud of the part that its
members have played in the development of the town and its institutions.
Sufficient evidence of civic responsibility is evinced by the fact that the
town has had Jewish Mayors on various occasions. Senator W. Ehrlich was at one
time Mayor, Mr. Haarburger was twice elected to that office, as, also Mr.
Lionel Nathan, and the Mayor for 1929-1930, Mr. Sol Harris, is a very popular
figure amongst Jews and Gentiles alike. Mr. B. Levy held the office of Deputy
Mayor, and members of the community have also been Town Councillors.
In addition to the work of the community, Jews have always
taken an active interest in the public institutions of the town, and either
have, or have had representatives on National Hospital, Museum, Chamber of
Commerce and Licensing Board.
As testimonials to the recognition of services, which Jews
have rendered to the town, Bloemfontein shows an Ehrlich Forest, a Levy Street,
Leviseur Street, Haarburger Crescent, Baumann Square, Ehrlich Street, Harris
Street and Nathan Street.



No comments:
Post a Comment